What is Thigh Lift?
A thigh lift or leg lift is a cosmetic procedure designed to improve the shape of your inner thigh. It consists of a lift in which the excess skin is removed from the inside of the leg. The scar is then hidden in the inner thigh fold, between the pubic area and the thigh. The result is a smoother, tighter looking inner thigh.
In many cases, patients have experienced a large weight loss, resulting in a saggy appearance to the skin. A thigh lift can help patients achieve more smoother and firmer look. A surgical thigh lift removes skin that has lost its elasticity, improving the overall appearance of the thigh area, although focusing specifically on the inner thigh.
Who Is a Good Candidate For Thigh Lift?
If your are considering a thigh lift, you will make a good candidate if you:
- have realistic expectation about what the thigh lift can do for you and you fully understand that the thigh lift won’t necessarily change your looks to match your ideal
- are in good health, emotionally stable and don’t have any pre-existing medical conditions
- feel your inner thighs are too saggy, and feel self-conscious wearing shorts and/or swimsuits
- have lost a significant amount of weight due to a bariatric surgery or a traditional weight loss method such as diet and/or exercise
Initial Consultation for Thigh Lift
A personal consultation at Park Cities Plastic Surgery Center is the very first step if you are considering thigh lift.
During the consultation at Park Cities Plastic Surgery Center, Dr. David Liland will assess your physical and emotional health, discuss your expectations about thigh lift and examine your skin for firmness and elasticity.
You will also be able to point out the areas where you would like to see improvement and talk about incisions and risks involve with thigh lift.
At Park Cities Plastic Surgery Center, Dr. David Liland will show several pre and post op pictures of thigh lift.
Thigh Lift: The Procedure
Your thigh lift procedure is performed as an outpatient (no overnight stay required).
The thigh lift procedure is performed at Park Cities Plastic Surgery Center. Dr. David Liland’s office is conveniently located on Oaklawn Avenue near downtown Dallas. Fully equipped with an AAAASF certified operating room, it stands out to be one of the most private and select plastic surgery offices in the Dallas area.
The incision used to perform a thigh lift is placed in the groin area beneath the bikini line. A crescent of skin is removed from the groin, then the tissues below the incision are loosened and the “thigh lift” takes place as the skin is pulled up and the incision sutured shut.
General anesthesia is used to perform thigh lift. A Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist administers the anesthesia.
After Thigh Lift
You will probably feel tired and sore for several days after the thigh lift operation. However within one or two days you should be up and around. Avoid bending and heavy lifting. You do not want place unnecessary pressure on the stitches.
You will probably be able to return to work in a couple of weeks and exercise more rigorously in about four to six weeks after the thigh lift
After the thigh lift you can expect an immediate improvement in the contour of your thighs, and your contour will continue to improve as the swelling subsides over the months. The sagging, hanging folds of skin will be gone and your thighs will appear tighter and possibly smoother. However, the final contour and appearance will not be fully realized for many months after the operation.
The scars are permanent and may appear worsen after a few months, but will fade with time.
Pre & Post-Op Tips for Thigh Lift
- Do no take any medication that contains aspirin, vitamin E, weight loss medication or any Chinese herbs for two weeks before the surgery. A complete drug list will be provided on your pre-op appointment date.
- Arrange for an adult to drive you to and from your surgery. You CAN NOT take a taxi home. You must also arrange for an adult to stay with you for 24 hours after thigh lift.
- Do not smoke for at least two weeks prior to the surgery.
- After the first dressing change, wear your compression garment continuously day and night to support and position the skin.
- Driving is permitted after a few days, if not taking pain medications.
- You may resume all normal activities after three weeks of thigh lift.
More specific recommendations will be made when you come to Park Cities Plastic Surgery Center in Dallas.