What is Abdominoplasty / Tummy Tuck?
Abdominoplasty, also known as a “Tummy Tuck“, helps those who want to attain a flatter, better-looking stomach. A tummy tuck is designed to firm and smooth the stomach. This cosmetic procedure removes excess skin and fat from the abdomen, and may also tighten the muscles of the abdominal wall.
Excess fat, loose and sagging skin, and weakened abdominal muscles can all be corrected with a tummy tuck. However, this procedure is not a substitute for weight loss or any exercise routine.
A tummy tuck can help boost confidence in one’s appearance and self-esteem, but it will not necessarily change your looks to match your ideal. The procedure can dramatically reduce the appearance of a protruding abdomen. But it does produce a permanent scar, which, depending on each patient, can extend from hip to hip.
A Tummy tuck can be performed in conjunction with other cosmetic surgery procedures like liposuction.
Who is a Good Candidate For a Tummy Tuck?
If considering a tummy tuck, you will make a good candidate if you:
- have a realistic expectation about the tummy tuck procedure
- are in good health and do not have any active diseases or serious pre-existing medical conditions
- are close to ideal body weight for your body type and size
- are 18 year old or older, and fully understand the tummy tuck / abdominoplasty procedure
- are not considering future pregnancies. (Cesarean section scars may be used or incorporated, or revised for new incision)
- do not need to lose substantial weight
Initial Consultation for a Tummy Tuck
A personal consultation at Park Cities Plastic Surgery is the very first step if you are considering an abdominoplasty / tummy tuck.
During the consultation at Park Cities Plastic Surgery, Dr. David Liland will assess physical and emotional health, discuss expectations regarding the abdominoplasty / tummy tuck procedure, and examine skin tone and deposits of fat.
You will be able to discuss the abdominoplasty / tummy tuck procedure, the incisions, and the risks involved with the procedure.
At Park Cities Plastic Surgery, Dr. David Liland will show several pre and post op pictures of an abdominoplasty / tummy tuck.
Tummy Tuck: The Procedure
The tummy tuck procedure is performed at Park Cities Plastic Surgery. Dr. David Liland’s office is conveniently located on OakLawn Avenue near downtown Dallas. Fully equipped with an AAAASF certified operating room, it stands out to be one of the most private and select plastic surgery offices in the Dallas area.
Dr. David Liland will make a horizontal incision from hip to hip just above the pubic area. The size of the scar will depend on the amount of excess skin and fat to be removed.
Skin is separated from the abdominal wall up to the ribs to remove the excess fat and repair weakened abdominal muscles. Abdominal skin is pulled down and excess skin and fat is removed. An incision around the belly button will be necessary to eliminate the excess skin on the upper abdomen.
General anesthesia is used to perform a tummy tuck. A Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist administers the anesthesia.
After a Tummy Tuck
Immediately following the procedure, you will notice a flatter and firmer stomach. However, the final result may be obscured by swelling and your inability to stand upright.
Within approximately two weeks following the procedure, the drain will be removed and the swelling will continue to subside.
Immediately following the procedure, you will be placed in an abdominal binder to control swelling and help the skin adjust to its new slimmer profile.
Pre & Post-Op Tips for a Tummy Tuck
- Do no take any medication that contains aspirin, vitamin E, weight loss medication, or Chinese herbs for two weeks prior to surgery. A complete drug list will be provided on your pre-op appointment date.
- Arrange for an adult to drive you to and from your surgery. You CAN NOT take a taxi home. You must also arrange for an adult to stay with you for 24 hours after the procedure.
- Do not smoke for at least four weeks prior to the surgery.
- You will be be placed in an abdominal binder; you must wear this continuously for six weeks.
- Driving is permitted after a few days, if not taking pain medications.
- You may resume all normal activities after six weeks of the procedure.
Specific recommendations will be suggested when you arrive at Park Cities Plastic Surgery in Dallas.