Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
What is Abdominoplasty / Tummy Tuck?
Abdominoplasty, also known as a “Tummy Tuck“, helps those who want to attain a flatter, better-looking stomach. Abdominoplasty or tummy tuck is designed to firm and smooth the stomach. This cosmetic procedure removes excess skin and fat from abdomen, and may also tighten the muscles of the abdominal wall.
Excess fat, loose sagging skin and weakened abdominal muscle can all be corrected with a abdominoplasty / tummy tuck. However this procedure is not a substitute for weight loss or any exercise routine.
A tummy tuck or abdominoplasty can help boost your confidence in your appearance and self-esteem, but it won’t necessarily change your looks to match your ideal. The procedure can dramatically reduce the appearance of a protruding abdomen. But it does produce a permanent scar, which, depending on each patient can extend from hip to hip.
Tummy tuck or abdominoplasty can be done in conjunction with other cosmetic surgery procedures like liposuction.
Who Is a Good Candidate For Abdominoplasty / Tummy Tuck?
If your are considering abdominoplasty / tummy tuck, you will make a good candidate if you:
- have a realistic expectation about what the tummy tuck can do for you
- are in good health and do not have any active diseases or serious, pre-existing medical conditions
- are close to ideal weight for their body type and size.
- are 18 year old or older and fully understand the tummy tuck / abdominoplasty procedure
- are not considering future pregnancies. (Cesarean section scars may be used or incorporated or revised for new incision)
- do not need to loss substantial weight
Initial Consultation for Abdominoplasty / Tummy Tuck
A personal consultation at Park Cities Plastic Surgery Center is the very first step if you are considering abdominoplasty / tummy tuck.
During the consultation at Park Cities Plastic Surgery Center, Dr. David Liland will assess your physical and emotional health, discuss your expectations about abdominoplasty / tummy tuck and examine your skin tone and deposits of fat.
You will also be able ask questions about abdominoplasty / tummy tuck, talk about incisions and risks involve with the procedure.
At Park Cities Plastic Surgery Center, Dr. David Liland will be show you several pre and post op pictures of a abdominoplasty / tummy tuck.
Abdominoplasty / Tummy Tuck: The Procedure
The abdominoplasty / tummy tuck procedure is performed at Park Cities Plastic Surgery Center. Dr. David Liland’s office is conveniently located on OakLawn Avenue near downtown Dallas. Fully equipped with an AAAASF certified operating room, it stands out to be one of the most private and select plastic surgery offices in the Dallas area.
Dr. David Liland will make a horizontal incision from hip to hip just above the pubic area. The size of the scar will depend on the amount of excess skin and fat to be removed.
Skin is separated from the abdominal wall all the way up to the ribs to remove all the excess fat and repair weakened abdominal muscles. Abdominal skin is pulled down and excess skin and fat is removed. An incision around the belly button will be necessary to get rid of the excess skin on the upper abdomen.
General anesthesia is used to perform abdominoplasty / tummy tuck. A Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist administers the anesthesia.
After Abdominoplasty / Tummy Tuck
You will probably see a flatter and firmer stomach right after the surgery. However the final result be obscured by the swelling and you inability to stand upright.
Within a week your stitches and drain will be removed and the swelling will continue to subside. Also you should be able to stand up tall and confident. The scars are permanent and may appear worse after a few months, but will fade with time.
Right after the surgery you will be fitted with a compression garment to control swelling and help your skin to adjust to its new slimmer profile.
Pre & Post-Op Tips for Abdominoplasty / Tummy Tuck
- Do no take any medication that contains aspirin, vitamin E, weight loss medication or any Chinese herbs for two weeks before the surgery. A complete drug list will be provided on your pre-op appointment date.
- Arrange for an adult to drive you to and from your surgery. You CAN NOT take a taxi home. You must also arrange for an adult to stay with you for 24 hours after the abdominoplasty / tummy tuck operation.
- Do not smoke for at least four weeks prior to the surgery.
- You will be fitted with a compression garment after surgery; you must wear this continuously for 6 weeks.
- Driving is permitted after a few days, if not taking pain medications or muscle relaxers.
- You may resume all normal activities after four weeks of the abdominoplasty / tummy tuck surgery.
More specific recommendations will be made when you come to Park Cities Plastic Surgery Center in Dallas.