What is Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation surgery is a cosmetic procedure that uses breast implants to enlarge the breasts.
Every woman has her own reasons for considering breast augmentation surgery. Improving self- image is usually one of the most important natural desires for women to undergo a breast augmentation procedure.
If your are considering breast augmentation, any of the following reasons will may make you a good candidate:
- Feeling of self-consciousness when wearing bathing suits or other clothes due to small breasts.
- Breasts lost their shape and firmness due to breast feeding and/ or weight loss.
- Asymmetry: one breast is bigger than the other.
Who Is Not a Good Candidate For Breast Augmentation?
You are not a good candidate for breast augmentation if:
- you are under 18 years old.
- you are not emotionally mature to understand breast augmentation surgery and/or breast implant procedures.
- you do not have realistic expectations about breast augmentation surgery.
- you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have an infection.
A personal consultation in our exclusive Dallas office is the very first step to take if you are considering breast augmentation procedure.
During the consultation at our Dallas clinic, Dr. David Liland will assess your physical and emotional health, discuss your expectations about breast augmentation surgery, and examine your breast.
You will also be able to talk about the size and shape of you breasts, the placement of breast implants, and incisions and risks involved in a breast augmentation procedure.
In our Dallas clinic, Dr. David Liland will show you several pre and post-op pictures of breast augmentation procedures using different types of breast implants.
Breast Augmentation Surgery: The Procedure
Breast augmentation surgery is a procedure that Dr. David Liland performs on location at our Dallas, certified surgery center. Dr. David Liland’s office is conveniently located on Oaklawn Avenue near downtown Dallas. Fully equipped with an AAAASF certified operating room, it stands out to be one of the most private and select plastic surgery offices in the Dallas area.
Dr. David Liland will make an incision and create a “pocket,” in which the implant is inserted. The implant will then be filled and positioned. The last part entails the incision, and closing the incision with stitches. General anesthesia is used to perform a breast augmentation.
After breast augmentation surgery
You will probably feel tired and sore for several days after the breast augmentation procedure. However, within one or two days you should be up and around. Your breasts may remain swollen and sensitive for a month or longer. You may also experience a feeling of tightness and pressure in the breast area as your skin adjusts to your new breast size.
Right after the surgery your implants will sit up high until they settle down.
Pre & Post-Op Tips for Breast Augmentation Surgery.
- Do no take any medication that contains aspirin, vitamin E, weight loss medication or any Chinese herbs for two weeks before the surgery. A complete drug list will be provided on your pre-op appointment date.
- Arrange for an adult to drive you to and from your surgery. You CAN NOT take a taxi home. You must also arrange for an adult to stay with you for 24 hours after the breast augmentation operation.
- Do not smoke for at least two weeks prior to the surgery.
- After the first dressing change, wear your bra continuously day and night to support and position the implants.
- Driving is permitted after a few days, only if you are not taking pain medications or muscle relaxers.
- Avoid heavy lifting, exercise or excessive movement of your arms for two weeks.
- You may resume all normal activities after three weeks of the breast augmentation surgery.
More specific recommendations will be made when you come to Park Cities Plastic Surgery Center in Dallas.