What is Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation is a cosmetic procedure that uses breast implants to enlarge the breasts.
Every woman has her own reasons for considering breast augmentation. Improving self- image is usually one of the most important natural desires for women to undergo a breast augmentation procedure.
If your are considering breast augmentation, any of the following reasons will may make you a good candidate:
- Feeling of self-consciousness when wearing bathing suits or other clothes due to small breasts
- Breasts have lost their shape and firmness due to breast feeding and/or weight loss
- Asymmetry: one breast is bigger than the other
Who is Not a Good Candidate For Breast Augmentation?
You are not a good candidate for breast augmentation if:
- you are under 18 years of age
- you are not emotionally mature enough to understand the breast augmentation procedure
- you do not have realistic expectations about the breast augmentation procedure
- you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have an infection
A personal consultation in our exclusive Dallas office is the very first step to take if you are considering the breast augmentation procedure.
During the consultation at our Dallas office, Dr. David Liland will assess your physical and emotional health, discuss your expectations regarding the breast augmentation procedure, and examine the breasts.
You will be able to discuss the desired size and shape of you breasts, the placement of the breast implants, and the incisions and risks involved in the breast augmentation procedure.
In our Dallas office, Dr. David Liland will show several pre and post-op pictures of the breast augmentationprocedure using different types of breast implants.
Breast Augmentation Surgery: The Procedure
Breast augmentation is performed as an outpatient surgical procedure. Dr. David Liland’s office is conveniently located on Oaklawn Avenue near downtown Dallas. Fully equipped with an AAAASF certified operating room, it stands out to be one of the most private and select plastic surgery offices in the Dallas area.
Dr. David Liland will make an incision and create a “pocket,” in which the implant is inserted. The implant will then be filled and positioned. The last part entails the incision, and closing the incision with stitches. General anesthesia is used to perform a breast augmentation.
After the Breast Augmentation Procedure
You will probably feel tired and sore for several days after the breast augmentation procedure. However, within one or two days you should be up and around. The breasts may remain swollen and sensitive for one month or longer and you may also experience a feeling of tightness and pressure in the breast area as the skin adjusts to the new breast size.
Immediately following the procedure, your implants will sit up high until they settle down.
Pre & Post-Op Tips for Breast Augmentation Procedure
- Do no take any medication that contains aspirin, vitamin E, weight loss medication, or Chinese herbs for two weeks prior to the procedure. A complete drug list will be provided on your pre-op appointment date.
- Arrange for an adult to drive you to and from your surgery. You CAN NOT take a taxi home. You must also arrange for an adult to stay with you for 24 hours after the procedure.
- Do not smoke for at least two weeks prior to the surgery.
- After the first dressing change, a special bra is sometimes necessary to support and position implants.
- Driving is permitted after a few days, only if you are not taking pain medications.
- Avoid heavy lifting, exercise, and excessive movement of your arms for two weeks.
- You may resume all normal activities after three weeks of the procedure.
Specific recommendations will be suggested when you arrive at Park Cities Plastic Surgery in Dallas.