Ear Surgery (Otoplasty)
What is Otoplasty / Ear Surgery?
Ear surgery, technically known as otoplasty, can reshape, set back prominent ears, or reduce the size of larger ears.
When normal in size, the ears rarely attract attention. If protruding or prominent ears bother you, you may consider ear surgery.
Who Is a Good Candidate For Otoplasty / Ear Surger?y
Good candidates for ear surgery are:
Adults & Teenagers:
- with realistic expectations about what the ear surgery can do for them
- who are in good health and do not have any active diseases or serious, pre-existing medical conditions
- who have protruding or prominent ears
- who feel their ears are to big in relation to facial features
Initial Consultation for Otoplasty / Ear Surgery
A personal consultation at Park Cities Plastic Surgery Center is the very first step if you are considering ear surgery.
During the consultation at Park Cities Plastic Surgery Center, Dr. David Liland will assess your physical and emotional health, discuss your expectations about ear surgery and examine your face structure and the ears.
You will also be able to ask questions about the ear surgery, talk about incisions and risks involved with the procedure.
At Park Cities Plastic Surgery Center, Dr. David Liland will show you several pre and post op pictures of a ear surgery.
Otoplasty / Ear Surgery: The Procedure
The ear surgery is performed at Park Cities Plastic Surgery. Dr. David Liland’s office is conveniently located on Oaklawn Avenue near downtown Dallas. Fully equipped with an AAAASF certified operating room, it stands out to be one of the most private and select plastic surgery offices in the Dallas area.
The ear surgery requires an individualized approach; it can offer dramatic improvement and bring balance to your face.
Reposition protruding ears is the most common form of ear surgery. When a qualified, experienced surgeon performs ear surgery, complications are rare and usually minor.
An incision is made in the back of the ear so cartilage can be reduced or folded. Stitches are used to close the incision and to permanently position the ear closer to the head.
General anesthesia is used to perform ear surgery. A Board Certified Anesthesiologist administers the anesthesia.
After Otoplasty / Ear Surgery
You may find that a headband has been placed around your face to support the new position of the ear during the initial healing process. It is very important that the bandages remain intact and are not disturbed. Discomfort is usually minimal but any pain you fell can be controlled with pain medication.
Within a week dressing will be removed and your stitches will come out. Healing will continue for several weeks and scars will star to fade out.
Pre & Post-Op Tips for Otoplasty / Ear Surgery
- Do no take any medication that contains aspirin, vitamin E, weight loss medication or any Chinese herbs for two weeks before the surgery. A complete drug list will be provided on your pre-op appointment date.
- Arrange for an adult to drive you to and from your surgery. You CAN NOT take a taxi home. You must also arrange for an adult to stay with you for 24 hours after the ear surgery operation.
- Do not smoke for at least four weeks prior to the surgery.
- Wear headband at night for three weeks while sleeping.
- No contact sports for three months after surgery.
- Keep head elevated on several pillows to minimize swelling.
- Driving is permitted after a few days, if not taking pain medications.
- Avoid heavy lifting, straining or bending over two weeks.
More specific recommendations will be made when you come to Park Cities Plastic Surgery Center in Dallas.