Who Is a Good Candidate For a Face-Lift?
If considering a face-lift, you will make a good candidate if you:
- have realistic expectations regarding the face-lift procedure
- are in good health, emotionally stable, and do not have any pre-existing medical conditions
- have visible signs of aging in the face & neck
- have lost skin elasticity and firmness
- have sagging tissue and wrinkles, and can appear tired or sad due to the aging process
- have loose skin and excess fatty deposits under the chin and jaw
- are 18 year old or older, and fully understand the face-lift procedure
Initial Consultation for a Face-Lift?
A personal consultation at Park Cities Plastic Surgery is the very first step if considering the face-lift procedure to improve the effects of aging in the face & neck.
During the consultation, Dr. David Liland will assess physical and emotional health, discuss expectations regarding the face-lift procedure, exexamine the bone structure, the underlying tissues of the face, skin elasticity, tone, and the muscle activity of the entire face and neck.
You will be able to discuss the face-lift procedure, the incisions, and the risks involved with the procedure.
At Park Cities Plastic Surgery, Dr. David Liland will show several pre and post op pictures of a face-lift.
Face-Lift: The Procedure
The face-lift procedure is performed at Park Cities Plastic Surgery. Dr. David Liland’s office is conveniently located on Oaklawn Avenue near downtown Dallas. Fully equipped with one AAAASF certified operating room, it stands out to be one of the most private and select plastic surgery offices in the Dallas area.
The approach used for the face-lift procedure depends not only on Dr. Liland’s preferences, but also on the desired look one wishes to achieve. The face-lift requires an individualized approach and it can offer dramatic improvement of the face & neck. However, a face-lift does not change the fundamental appearance of one’s face.
Face-lift incisions usually begin in the hairline, continue around the ear, and end in the lower scalp. Fat can be removed or redistributed from the face and neck. The underlying tissue is repositioned and excess skin is trimmed away.
Once the face-lift procedure is complete, a bandage is placed around the face and scalp to minimize swelling and bruising and drainage tubes may be present. Discomfort and numbness can be controlled with pain medication. Skin may look discolored and/or bruised.
The incisions of the face-lift are well concealed within the natural structures of the face, ear, and the hairline. Results appear gradually as swelling and bruising subside to reveal a smooth, firmer and younger appearance.
Within one week the stitches or clips will be removed, most of the bruising will disappear, and the swelling will continue to subside. Within three weeks, numbness and itching will start to diminish as the nerves continue to heal.
Protect the face from the sun or use the appropriate sun block after the face-lift procedure.
Post-Op Tips for Face-Lift
- Do no take any medication that contains aspirin, vitamin E, weight loss medication or, Chinese herbs for two weeks prior to the surgery. A complete drug list will be provided on the pre-op appointment date.
- Arrange for an adult to drive you to and from your procedure. You CAN NOT take a taxi home. You must also arrange for an adult to stay with you for 24 hours after the procedure.
- Do not smoke for at least four weeks prior to the surgery.
- You should avoid exposure to direct sunlight and consider using sun block.
- Keep head elevated on several pillows to minimize swelling
- Driving is permitted after a few days, if not taking pain medications.
- Avoid heavy lifting, straining or bending over for two weeks.
- You may resume all normal activities after three weeks of the procedure.
Specific recommendations will be suggested when you arrive at Park Cities Plastic Surgery in Dallas.