Dramatically Rejuvenate Your Appearance with Eyelid Surgery
What is Eyelid Surgery / Blepharoplasty?
Eyelid surgery orblepharoplasty, removes the excess fat and drooping skin from the upper eyelids, minimizing bags under the eyes, and tightening the lower eyelid skin. The result is a better-rested, softer, more alert appearance.
Eyelid surgery / blepharoplasty can correct drooping upper lids and puffy bags below the eyes – features that make one look older and more tired than they feel, and may even interfere with vision. However,eyelid surgery / blepharoplasty will not remove crow’s feet or other wrinkles, eliminate dark circles under the eyes, or lift sagging eyebrows.
Eyelid surgery / blepharoplasty can be performed in conjunction with other cosmetic surgery procedures such as a face lift, neck lift, and/or a brow lift.
Who Is a Good Candidate For Eyelid Surgery / Blepharoplasty?
If considering the eyelid surgery / blepharoplasty procedure, you will make a good candidate if you:
- have realistic expectations regarding the eyelid surgery / blepharoplasty procedure
- are in good health, emotionally stable, and do not have any pre-existing medical conditions
- have sagging or loose skin that creates folds or hides the natural contour of the eyes
- have excess skin that hangs down from the upper lid, impairing vision
- have droopy eyelids
- have puffy eyes
- would like to restore firmness around the eye area
- have bags under the eyes
- 18 years old or older, and fully understand the eyelid surgery / blepharoplasty procedure
Initial Consultation for Eyelid Surgery / Blepharoplasty.
A personal consultation in our exclusive Dallas office is the very first step to take if you are considering the eyelid surgery / blepharoplasty procedure.
During the consultation at Park Cities Plastic Surgery, Dr. David Liland will assess physical and emotional health and expectations regarding the eyelid surgery / blepharoplasty procedure. The skin elasticity and tone of the upper & lower eyelid will be fully evaluated. Often, patients who are bothered by excess skin in their upper eyelids do not realize that a sagging brow is contributing to the appearance.
You will be able to discuss the eyelid surgery / blepharoplasty procedure, the incisions, and the risks involved with the procedure.
Dr. David Liland will show several pre and post-op pictures of eyelid surgery / blepharoplasty procedure.
Eyelid Surgery / Blepharoplasty: The Procedure
The eyelid surgery / blepharoplasty procedure is performed at Park Cities Plastic Surgery. Dr. David Liland’s office is conveniently located on Oaklawn Avenue near downtown Dallas. Fully equipped with an AAAASF certified operating room, it stands out to be one of the most private and select plastic surgery offices in the Dallas area.
The eyelid surgery / blepharoplasty requires an individualized approach and it can offer dramatic improvement in the upper and lower eyelids.
For upper lids, an incision within the natural crease of the eye allows repositioning of the fat deposit, tightening of muscles, and removal of excess skin to create a firmer upper lid contour.
For lower lids, an incision just below the lower lash line allows the removal of sagging muscles and excess skin.
After Eyelid Surgery / Blepharoplasty
Once the eyelid surgery / blepharoplasty is complete, lubricated ointment and cold compresses may be applied to prevent dry eye and to minimize swelling. The eyes will be covered with gauze. Elevate the head the first day of and after surgery to minimize swelling, and wear sunglasses to protect the eyes from bright light.
Discomfort is usually minimal and can be controlled with pain medication. Initial healing might include swelling, bruising, irritation, and dry eye.
The incisions of the eyelid surgery / blepharoplasty are well concealed within the natural structures of the eyelid area. Results appear gradually as swelling and bruising subside to reveal a smooth, firmer, and well-define eyelid.
Healing of the incision may take five to 10 days. Within four days stitches will be removed, most of the bruising will disappear, and the swelling will continue to subside. You may return to work and resume normal activity after 10 days.
Pre & Post-Op Tips for Eyelid Surgery / Blepharoplasty.
- Do no take any medication that contains aspirin, vitamin E, weight loss medication, or Chinese herbs for two weeks prior to the procedure. A complete drug list will be provided on your pre-op appointment date.
- Arrange for an adult to drive you to and from your surgery. You CAN NOT take a taxi home. You must also arrange for an adult to stay with you for 24 hours after the procedure.
- Do not smoke for at least four weeks prior to the surgery.
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight and consider wearing sunglasses.
- Keep head elevated on several pillows to minimize swelling
- Driving is permitted after a few days, if not taking pain medications.
- You may resume all normal activities after three weeks of the procedure.
Specific recommendations will be suggested when you arrive at Park Cities Plastic Surgery in Dallas.