Who Is a Good Candidate For Otoplasty / Ear Surgery?
Good candidates for ear surgery are:
Adults & Teenagers:
- with realistic expectations regarding the ear surgery procedure
- who are in good health and do not have any active diseases or serious, pre-existing medical conditions
- who have protruding or prominent ears
- who feel their ears are too big in relation to their facial features
Initial Consultation for Otoplasty / Ear Surgery
A personal consultation at Park Cities Plastic Surgery is the very first step if you are considering ear surgery.
During the consultation at Park Cities Plastic Surgery, Dr. David Liland will assess physical and emotional health, discuss expectations regarding the ear surgery, and examine the face structure and the ears.
You will be able to discuss the ear surgery, the incisions, and the risks involved with the procedure.
At Park Cities Plastic Surgery, Dr. David Liland will show several pre and post op pictures of the ear surgery.
Otoplasty / Ear Surgery: The Procedure
The ear surgery is performed at Park Cities Plastic Surgery. Dr. David Liland’s office is conveniently located on Oaklawn Avenue near downtown Dallas. Fully equipped with an AAAASF certified operating room, it stands out to be one of the most private and select plastic surgery offices in the Dallas area.
The ear surgery requires an individualized approach; it can offer dramatic improvement and bring balance to the face.
Repositioning protruding ears is the most common form of ear surgery and when a qualified, experienced surgeon performs the procedure, complications are rare and usually minor.
An incision is made in the back of the ear so cartilage can be reduced or folded. Stitches are used to close the incision and to permanently position the ear closer to the head.
General anesthesia is used to perform ear surgery. A Board Certified Anesthesiologist administers the anesthesia.
After Otoplasty / Ear Surgery
You may find that a headband has been placed around the face to support the new position of the ear(s) during the initial healing process. It is very important that the bandages remain intact and are not disturbed. Discomfort is usually minimal but any pain felt can be controlled with pain medication.
Within a one week, the dressing and stitches will be removed. Healing will continue for several weeks and scars will start to fade.
Pre & Post-Op Tips for Otoplasty / Ear Surgery
- Do no take any medication that contains aspirin, vitamin E, weight loss medication, or Chinese herbs for two weeks prior to the surgery. A complete drug list will be provided on your pre-op appointment date.
- Arrange for an adult to drive you to and from your surgery. You CAN NOT take a taxi home. You must also arrange for an adult to stay with you for 24 hours after the procedure.
- Do not smoke for at least four weeks prior to the surgery.
- Wear headband at night for three weeks while sleeping.
- No contact sports for three months after surgery.
- Keep head elevated on several pillows to minimize swelling.
- Driving is permitted after a few days, if not taking pain medications.
- Avoid heavy lifting, straining or bending over two weeks.
Specific recommendations will be suggested when you arrive at Park Cities Plastic Surgery in Dallas.