Types of Sedation
Undergoing cosmetic surgery can be exciting. It can also be a little intimidating. However, the use of sedation can ensure that you will feel calm and comfortable during your procedure. At Park Cities Plastic Surgery in Dallas, TX, Dr. David Liland offers several types of sedation. The type of procedure you wish to undergo, your medical history, and other factors will be considered as we determine your candidacy for sedation and the best type of sedation for you.
Types of Sedation We Offer
There are two primary kinds of sedation Dr. Liland can provide:
- Conscious Sedation
- Dr. Liland can perform a few different methods of inducing heavy relaxation without the patient becoming completely unconscious: oral medication, inhaled medication, and intravenous (IV) sedation. Oral and inhaled sedation have milder effects. Intravenous sedation induces deeper relaxation. In some cases, procedures such as breast augmentation and liposuction can be performed using conscious sedation.
- General Anesthesia
- This is the heaviest form of sedation, and it places the patient in a medically induced coma. It is usually used for the most invasive or extensive procedures, such as a tummy tuck. When general anesthesia is used, it is necessary to use a breathing tube and monitor your vital signs. General anesthesia is administered by a board-certified anesthesiologist.
A local anesthetic can also be provided to numb the treatment area. It may be used alone or combined with sedation, depending on the procedure.
Is Sedation Safe?
Sedation is safe when provided by an experienced doctor who properly evaluates your candidacy and takes the appropriate precautions. Common side effects of sedation include:
- Memory loss
It is also important to understand that there is a risk of serious complications such as nerve damage or respiratory failure. The best way to minimize this risk is to choose a surgeon who is experienced, credentialed, and reputable. Dr. Liland has helped hundreds of patients achieve beautiful results in the utmost safety. He and his team take every precaution to administer sedation with minimal risk of complications. He will also provide pre- and post-operative instructions to help ensure your safety and successful recovery.
Factors to Consider
Before administering anesthesia, Dr. Lilan will consider:
Dr. Liland will need to fully review your medical history and current medications to determine which sedation method is best for you. Medical factors to consider include:
- Previous response to sedation
- History of drug or alcohol abuse
- The overall state of your health
It is important that you are completely transparent about any health conditions during your consultation.
As a board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Liland is extensively trained to safely and effectively provide sedation.
Type of Procedure
If you are undergoing a surgical procedure, you will require either general anesthesia or conscious sedation. However, for treatments such as dermal fillers, you may only need a local anesthetic.
Safe Sedation with Dr. Liland
Dr. Liland has been providing the highest quality surgical care for over 25 years. Learn more about sedation and other aspects of his services by contacting us online or calling us at (214) 692-6500.